Missoula architect Henry E. Kirkemo designed this Cape Cod style cottage in 1935 for Sandy and Bessie Sanderson of Sanderson Hardware in downtown Hamilton. Kirkemo was well known in the community for designing nearby landmarks, including the Marcus Daly Memorial Hospital in 1930 and the Hamilton High School in 1931. As in his public buildings, Kirkemo applied perfectly scaled classical details to the Sanderson home, bestowing understated elegance to its corners, entrances, and windows. Six years later, the Sandersons sold the house to Vernon and Lois Hollingsworth, who lived here for over fifty years. Vernon and Lois raised three daughters here and were deeply committed to improving business, healthcare, and education opportunities in Hamilton and around the state. Vernon was president of Citizen’s State Bank and Hollingsworth Insurance from 1938 to 1992, a state senator from 1943 to 1946, and Marcus Daly Memorial Hospital Board vice chair from 1941 to 1996. Lois was a church elder and director of the First Presbyterian Church Sunday school and a devoted member of the Eastern Star, PEO Sisterhood, American Association of University Women, and Hamilton Women’s Club.