Hamilton Southside Residential Historic District

The architectural character of this pleasant district was initially shaped by copper king Marcus Daly. Between 1890 and 1905, Daly's Anaconda Copper Mining Company constructed substantial high style residences for its managers and modest houses in various vernacular forms for its workers. Fashionable homes were also built by local businessmen who owed their success in part to Daly's encouragement of entrepreneurial enterprise. Construction of the Catholic and Christian churches, which Daly helped finance, added to the district's early diversity. The Romanesque style Ravalli County courthouse symbolizes Daly's considerable political influence in Hamilton's designation as county seat. Daly's death in 1900 and slowdown of the ACM mill precipitated a local recession. Renewed interest in Hamilton came with the start of the "Big Ditch" project in 1905 as investors and speculators promoted their schemes in the Bitterroot Valley. Craftsman and Colonial Revival style residences began to mingle with the older homes. Decline of the apple industry after 1916 triggered another local economic slowdown, but construction of the Rocky Mountain Laboratory in 1927 once again spurred Hamilton's residential growth. Picturesque Revival and Cape Cod style cottages filled in open spaces while a high school and hospital reflect the 1930s economic upswing. The 1946 Moderne style medical arts building completes the district's broad spectrum of architectural styles. Along the tree-lined boulevards, elegant 1890s residences with smaller homes built upon their once-spacious grounds well reflect Hamilton's changing fortunes and bestow a timeless appearance upon the district's neighborhoods.

Frank Dudley House

Marcus Daly’s taste influenced Hamilton, a town the copper king founded to supply timber to his Butte mines. Daly liked the Shingle style, and his Anaconda Company carpenters incorporated Shingle style elements into several Hamilton residences.…

318 South Fifth Street

Although Sam Lucas only lived in Hamilton for ten years, he left his mark on the community. Copper king Marcus Daly hired the Kentucky horse trainer in 1890 to work at his Bitter Root Stock Farm. Nothing was too good for Daly’s race horses, and…

Hollingsworth House

Missoula architect Henry E. Kirkemo designed this Cape Cod style cottage in 1935 for Sandy and Bessie Sanderson of Sanderson Hardware in downtown Hamilton. Kirkemo was well known in the community for designing nearby landmarks, including the Marcus…

Millette House

Congress created the Federal Housing Administration (FHA) and FHA loans in 1934—at the height of the Great Depression—to finance and produce small homes that the average working American could afford. In addition to offering insured long-term,…

617 South Fifth Street

Before homebuyers could secure mortgages through the Federal Housing Administration—a New Deal agency created in 1934 to stimulate the economy and encourage homeownership—private sales were more common. A 1913 newspaper ad defined the purchase terms…

Bartlett/Stanton House

Shed roof dormers punctuating the low-pitched roof and triangular braces beneath the roof’s wide, sheltering eaves mark this stucco residence as a Craftsman style house. Elizabeth Bartlett purchased the lot from the Anaconda Company in 1909 and had…

Barron House

Margaret Barron bought what was then a new home, along with two vacant lots next door, in September 1909. The house, which originally had a smaller central shed-roof dormer, featured many popular Craftsman style elements. These included a low-pitched…

Nels Peterson House

Early twentieth century architects widely rejected the elaborate ornamentation and complicated lines associated with the Queen Anne style, the late nineteenth century’s most popular architectural style. Among the general public, however, taste…

O'Hara House

Irish-born Robert A. O’Hara, retained by Marcus Daly as land agent and developer of Daly’s “company town,” came to the Bitterroot Valley in 1890. O’Hara had the distinction to serve as the first mayor of the town of Hamilton from 1894 to 1896. Having…

William and Rose Brennan House

Copper king Marcus Daly contracted with William Brennan to supply his Butte mines with 1.5 million feet of timber monthly in 1889. Brennan and a partner first established a mill at the mouth of Skalkaho Creek. Two years later, at Daly's…

St. Paul's Episcopal Church Hamilton

Reverend George Stewart designed this English Gothic church, constructed in 1899.  Congregant Lena Crutchfield organized numerous pancake suppers, ice cream socials, and offered generous donations to make this historic landmark a reality. Margaret…

St. Paul's Rectory

In its earliest years, St. Paul's Episcopal Church held services twice monthly. The Reverend George Stewart traveled from Missoula to officiate. By 1900, the diocesan bishop recognized the need for a resident priest. The Reverend John Fogerty…

Dr. George B. Taylor Home

Architect Everett Peterson took inspiration from the popular Tudor Revival style when designing this cross-gabled residence. Typical Tudor Revival elements include the steep rooflines, curved lines on the small gabled entrance, false half timbering,…