In 1877, a fast-moving flood damaged much of the original Fort Clagett trading post, located about a mile to the west. Consequently, manager James Wells moved the trading post here, out of harm’s way and closer to a safer river crossing. As steamboat traffic declined, Wells shifted his business to attract freighters, cattlemen, Indians, and miners, operating a blacksmith shop, saloon, hotel, stable, store, and ferry. He also established a post office in 1880. Initially, the post office—which operated only intermittently over the next three years—was likely located in the store. After Gilman R. (Bill) Norris bought out Wells in 1883, he received the contract to carry mail from Maiden (a mining camp sixty miles south) to Judith Landing the following year. In preparation, Norris improved the steep road out of the river bottom and built a “mail station” (or barn) and corral further west, at the mouth of Dog Creek. Sometime after 1890, the mail barn appears to have been moved from Dog Creek to this location for use as the post office. It remained in operation until May 15, 1919.