The first men’s residence on campus renamed Elrod Hall, opened in 1923 with seventy student rooms. Like its near-twin Brantly Hall, the facility was originally intended to be part of two U-shaped residential complexes. The Helena architectural firm of Link and Haire drew the blueprints for the Renaissance Revival style hall, which reflects the exuberance of spirit in campus buildings constructed under the Carsley-Gilbert campus master plan. Each floor is organized into horizontal divisions typical of the style. Red-brown brick, cream-colored terra cotta, and green Spanish roof tile label the building part of the Carsley-Gilbert group.