The five-story Masonic Temple was Havre’s largest building at the time of its opening in 1916. Its solid massing follows a longstanding Masonic tradition of erecting lodges whose size and bulk symbolize the permanency and stability of masonry itself. The members of Havre Lodge #55, first organized in 1901, wanted a home that would provide space for ceremonial and social functions. They also saw the building as an investment in Havre. The Masons counted on rent from first-floor retail establishments and second- and third-floor offices to subsidize the lodge. They reserved the fourth and fifth stories for their ceremonial and social rooms, including a Lodge room, a large kitchen and dining area overlooking the Lodge, and a chapel. Local architect Frank Buossot incorporated the Egyptian Revival style in the entrance's monumental, tapered sandstone pilasters and winged frieze to reflect the Mason’s symbolic ties to ancient Egypt. An Egyptian motif decorates the fourth floor Lodge room as well. Diamond-patterned brick, Italianate style double brackets, and a Gothic Revival stained glass window in the Knights Templar chapel also add dignity to the building.