Builder/contractor Oren M. Lanphear experimented with a variety of influences in this 1908 residence, which was the first home in Miles City to fully employ the American Foursquare design. Simplicity and practicality were the essence of this architectural form, which originated with Chicago architect Louis Sullivan. Wide eaves and a stone foundation follow the closely related Craftsman style, but an oriel window and classical Palladian window (the town’s only such example) refer back to the preceding Victorian era. Stained glass in an Art Nouveau torch-and-ribbon motif and golden oak interior finishing add further elegance. This progressive home was featured in Buchanan’s 1911 booster book, Seeing Miles City. The family of its first owner, dentist Augustus J. Schrumpf, retained ownership until 1947, when the residence was converted to apartments. Current owners have carefully restored its former grandeur, returning the upper floors to a gracious single-family home.