T.C. Power Building

Fort Benton Historic District

In 1867, merchant T. C. Power, destined to become one of the state’s wealthiest and most influential men, brought his first wagonload of goods to Fort Benton, where he set up shop in a borrowed tent. Still in business in 1916, Power constructed a new grocery and department store to cater to “sodbusters” during the homestead boom. Architect George H. Carsley, who was Power’s neighbor in Helena, designed the stylish, two-story brick building. A flat roof, decorative brackets, and series of second-story windows are architecturally representative of the period.

Images

Map

1700 Front Street, Fort Benton, Montana ~ Private