In 1864, Mills and Douglas operated a restaurant and hotel on this corner. Mills and Robert S. Culbertson went into partnership in 1877, opening a new establishment called the Centennial Hotel in celebration of the United States' 100th birthday. Culbertson, nephew of Alexander Culbertson who was the founder of Fort Benton, became full owner in 1881. In 1882, the hotel was rebuilt of brick and renamed the Pacific Hotel; later it was also known as the Culbertson House. Robert and his wife Lydia operated the hotel until her death in 1912. It was operated by one of their nine children, Esther Casey, until 1941, then sold by the family in 1946.