William J. Kendall of the Northwest Milling and Lumber Company built this regal Queen Anne style home circa 1899. Professor Frederick C. Scheuch and his family were the longtime occupants from 1902 until 1936. Scheuch was one of the University of Montana’s first three instructors, initially teaching mechanical engineering and then French and German. Revered by several generations of students, Professor Scheuch also served as the university’s vice president, stepping in as interim president six times. He helped found the student newspaper, Montana Kaimin, and the U of M chapter of the Sigma Chi fraternity. The professor and his wife, Jimmie, were known for their warm hospitality. Scheuch retired in 1936, moved away, and under later owners, the home began to deteriorate. In 1987, the first of several preservation-minded owners bought the abandoned ruin. Each contributed to the home’s rebuilding, salvaging everything that could be saved. Eventually, the original features, from the stone foundation to the grand turret, re-emerged. In 2000, the City of Missoula bestowed a well-deserved preservation award upon this magnificent, and again well-cared for, neighborhood landmark.