This one-story vernacular style residence, built circa 1902, and its contemporary carriage house illustrate the changing landscape of Missoula’s Southside. Modest homes like this pyramidal-roofed cottage with its characteristic square plan and attached front porch attest to a growing blue-collar population. Originally owned by county poor farm foreman Gordon H. Tracy, Hannah McClain acquired the title in 1906. Hannah’s husband, J. P. McClain, was with the U.S. Cavalry in Dakota Territory, became Montana Sate Commander of the Grand Army of the Republic, and later was a partner of C. P. Higgins in the cattle business. Other early owners included a carpenter, a mechanic, a baker, and a bookbinder.