A small stone building erected on this site in 1881 was one of Butte’s first churches. After 1900, the church was remodeled several times, incorporating the original building into a much larger structure. When fire swept through the chancel in 1919, one of Butte’s first preservation projects followed. Though not identical to the original, the restoration completed in 1921 is sympathetic to the original design. Today the crenelated towers and magnificent stained-glass window of St. John’s provide an excellent example of the Norman style as adapted to the Episcopal church in the United States.