The cornerstone for St. Paul’s Methodist Episcopal Church was laid in 1887. Dedicated September 15, 1890, this modest but rather sophisticated structure was one of Philipsburg’s early churches. Choice of brick and prolonged construction reveal the generosity and persistence of its congregation. The original building with its furnishings cost a total of $3,589.94. When lightning destroyed the bell tower, an entry vestibule and new tower were later constructed in conjunction with the addition west of the sanctuary.