Elizabeth and Luke Cowan purchased this home in 1905, probably as an investment property. Turned porch supports, a spindle railing, and a leaded glass window ornament the residence, which features a large wraparound front porch. A gable interrupts the porch roof to accentuate the front entrance. Its architecture points to the residence’s relatively early construction date and distinguishes it from other homes in the neighborhood, most of which reflect styles popular in the 1910s and 1920s. The Cowans, who lived down the block, sold the residence to Luke’s father Samuel in 1912. A Confederate veteran, Samuel came to Montana in the 1880s. In 1897, he was elected county assessor and moved his family to Bozeman. Samuel appointed his eldest son William as his deputy, and after Samuel’s retirement, William was elected in his father’s stead. William continued in the position of county assessor until 1936. Not only did father and son work together, they also lived together. The men moved here (along with William’s wife Fannie) circa 1916. The home remained in the family into the 1950s.