Railroad contractor Peter McVeigh built this Queen Anne Free Classic style house (and the one next door) as an investment in 1896. The dark stone foundation, red brick walls, dentilated (toothlike) window arches, and cutaway panels below and beside the windows were typical decorative conventions aimed at avoiding flat wall surfaces. Features like the paired porch columns and dentil moulding along the roofline reflected the growing popularity of classical details. Dr. James and Mrs. Sara Sligh rented the home in 1897. By September 1898, Patrick and Mary Halloran resided here with their children. Patrick was an auditor for the Butte, Anaconda, and Pacific Railway and Mary was a homemaker. Tragically, Mary died in 1903 following the birth of their twelfth child. After the Hallorans moved out in 1905, various skilled laborers rented the house until 1924 when Harry and Lillian Ware moved in. Harry was assistant superintendent at the Anaconda Company smelter and a beloved manager of the Anaconda Anodes baseball team. He died in 1926 at age forty-seven, but Lillian continued to live here, with their son and two daughters, until 1936.