The block between Oak and Cherry streets was jam-packed with single-family dwellings and boarding houses during Anaconda’s early years. Between 1884 and 1888, Mike and Annie Leonard built their one-story, wood-frame house facing the street, and then built two small rental houses on the back lot. When commercial buildings started to replace the street-facing residences in the late 1880s, Annie opened a millinery (hat shop) in the front part of their home. She closed the shop in 1891, and in 1893, Mike moved his barber shop here from First Street. After 1900, the Leonard’s replaced the wood-frame building with this brick, double-front store building. Mike continued his barber business and rented the other half to various saloon owners until he retired in 1915. Klein’s Shoe Shop and The Palm Confectionery shared the building in 1916. The Palm offered something for everyone—including cigarettes, cigars, and magazines for adults and candies and soda fountain drinks for kids. Owsley’s Drug Store replaced The Palm in 1936, followed by Thrifty Drug in 1944, the Anaconda Florist in 1954, and Capp’s Taxidermy in 1988.