Krug Building

Merrill Avenue Historic District

Neoclassical style elements including pilasters with decorative capitals and an elegant bracketed cornice enliven the façade of this significant building designed by Miles City architect Brynjulf Rivenes in 1910. Constructed by Joseph Wester for wealthy Glendive rancher, businessman, and banker Charles Krug, its first tenants were a saloon and a clothing store. The architect’s brother, Einar Rivenes, was proprietor of The Toggery, whose advertisement claimed that “if you don’t trade here, we both lose money.” Stetson hats, Florsheim shoes, and Chesterfield clothing made it a first-class establishment for gentlemen’s furnishings. The saloon next door at #202 had several early tenant proprietors, including David Leidahl in 1912, who owned one of the buildings in this block. In 1941, the Glendive Masonic Lodge #31 acquired the property from Krug’s widow, Annie. Although the ground floor has a newer brick façade and the arches along with three of the original seven windows on the second floor have been infilled, the architectural statement of this marvelous period landmark remains substantial.

Images

Map

202 South Merrill Avenue, Glendive, Montana ~ Private