The Catholics of Glendive first organized at St. Juliana’s, a 100-seat church purchased from the Congregationalists in 1886. After nearly forty years, they had outgrown those quarters. In 1924, architect Brynjulf Rivenes of Miles City designed a new…

Rancher and banker Charles Krug came west from Ohio in 1878, searching for opportunity and a climate to relieve his sister Emma’s asthma. In 1881, he and Emma settled in Glendive where she was a seamstress and he worked for the railroad. Krug built…

The Northern Pacific Railroad platted the townsite of Glendive in 1882 against the arid Montana “badlands.” The location was an ideal supply and distribution center since it was where the railroad first met the Yellowstone River, but Glendive looked…

After the death of Glendive pioneer Henry Dion in 1920, his widow and children contracted with John Holm to construct this commercial building according to the specifications of the J.C. Penney Company. Built in 1929, the architecture is typical of…

Neoclassical style elements including pilasters with decorative capitals and an elegant bracketed cornice enliven the façade of this significant building designed by Miles City architect Brynjulf Rivenes in 1910. Constructed by Joseph Wester for…

The Enlarged Homestead Act of 1909 brought thousands of settlers into Montana, particularly benefiting towns along the Northern Pacific route. Glendive was fairly bursting with activity when this two story commercial brick building was constructed…

Fancy arches and other fine detailing highlight the façade of this commercial building, constructed as an investment in 1905 by pioneer Henry Dion. The outer walls are of softer, locally produced “Glendive brick” while quality imported brick covers…