Leidahl Building

Merrill Avenue Historic District

The Enlarged Homestead Act of 1909 brought thousands of settlers into Montana, particularly benefiting towns along the Northern Pacific route. Glendive was fairly bursting with activity when this two story commercial brick building was constructed for David Leidahl as an investment in 1912. Although the architecture is less grand that some of Glendive’s earlier buildings, it displays fine workmanship and design characteristics typical of this busy period. Corbelled cornices and pilasters illustrate the skills of local masons while concrete lintels and sills contrast with the darker brick. Rudolph Becker and R. E. Wing rented the commercial space from Leidahl, who operated a saloon in this block. Becker’s tailor shop was on the ground floor and the upstairs accommodated Wing’s photography studio. Both ran prosperous businesses here during the 1910s. VFW Post #1125 purchased the building circa 1940, and it has since served as a meeting hall for local veterans.

Images

Map

218 South Merrill Avenue, Glendive, Montana ~ Private