Filed Under Bozeman

219 East Olive Street

Lindley Place Historic District

Martin J. Plumb, wife Nancy, and their two grown children moved into their new bungalow in the fall of 1916. Builders Glenn Knodle and Frank McCabe built the house using catalog home plans and lumber from Kenyon-Noble Lumber Company. The house was so handsome it was featured in a 1917 Kenyon-Noble advertisement in the local paper. By this time residential trends favored the modest Craftsman style over the more exuberant Queen Anne style. The Plumb’s house featured key Craftsman stylistic elements in its large knee braces in the eaves, decorative window sashes, and interior built-in bookcases with tapered columns. Fittingly, Martin Plumb played a role in Bozeman’s early plumbing industry. He managed the Bozeman Water Works from 1902 until 1909 and later started a plumbing business with Charles Lundwall. By 1920, Plumb had opened a plumbing supply shop in Manhattan and remained in the plumbing business until his retirement in 1935. Widow Anna Winning purchased the home in 1940 and rented rooms to college students. Beloved Montana State University football coach Jim Sweeney and family lived here from 1962 to 1963.

Images

219 East Olive Street
219 East Olive Street 219 East Olive Street. Front to side view of the house, facing northeast on East Olive Street. Source: Montana State Historic Preservation Office Creator: Matt Cohen Date: 1985

Location

219 East Olive Street, Bozeman, Montana | Private

Metadata

The Montana National Register Sign Program, “219 East Olive Street,” Historic Montana, accessed March 2, 2024, https://historicmt.org/items/show/2800.