Lukes / Love House
Miles City East Main Street Residential Historic District
Built for C. N. and Louise E. Lukes in 1911, the home is also known as the Ed Love House. Lukes was cashier of the Commercial State Bank and after the deaths of C. N. and Louise in 1929, ownership passed to their daughter, Doris Lukes Love, and her husband, Ed Love. Ed Love was a prominent businessman involved in nearly every aspect of Miles City life. From the Horse Sales Company to homestead real estate ventures and the Love Ford Motor Company, Love contributed to the city’s early development. However, several bankruptcies forced Love to put the home in his wife’s name. Doris retained ownership until her death in 1967. Their daughters, Margaret and Dorie Lou, sold the home in 1972 upon Love’s death. Typical of Main Street homes from 1910 to 1920, the house is a high style Craftsman type, with expensive departures from the norm that make the home stand out. Later remodeling efforts produced the enclosed porch.