Dr. John D. McGregor Residence
Butte National Historic Landmark District
Newly graduated from the University of Toronto with a degree in veterinary surgery, Dr. John D. McGregor arrived in the Mining City in 1889. Copper king Marcus Daly launched the young doctor’s career, hiring him to care for horses on the Butte hill. That began a long association with the Anaconda Company and began a lucrative private practice. In 1918, the doctor, his wife Laura, and their two small daughters settled into this impressive home. Built in 1915 and grandly placed on a prominent rise, the New England style English cottage is a model of perfect symmetry with its paired gabled dormers and centered entry. Rich classical revival style details include two sets of regal ionic columns that flank the entrance and support a triangular gable, or pediment. A baroque-style wreath and intricate scrollwork embellish the pediment. A gated brick retaining wall at street level and mature landscaping add historic ambiance. Daughter Helen—a beloved speech and drama teacher at Butte High School—kept house here after her parents’ deaths in the 1950s. The McGregor family retained ownership through the 1980s.