Filed Under Missoula

Company Officers' Quarters

Fort Missoula Historic District (addendum and boundary increase)

The reconstruction of Fort Missoula after 1904 equipped the facility to serve as a regimental headquarters. The new cast concrete buildings in the Mission style were built along a curved boulevard a few hundred feet northeast of the original parade grounds. These seven Mission style residential buildings, including the Commanding Officer’s Quarters, were known as Officers’ Row. Built in 1910, they were a significant part of the reconstruction. Four single-family units, a duplex, and a fourplex housed junior officers and their families from 1910 to 1941. From 1941 to 1944 when the U.S. Immigration and Naturalization Services operated the Alien Detention Station at the fort, the housing units accommodated civilian personnel. Army personnel were quartered here from 1944 to 1947. Since 1947, these buildings have housed military personnel assigned to the Reserve Officers Training Corps, the Army and Navy Reserve, and the Montana National Guard. In 1993, Congress authorized transfer of the Officers’ Quarters to the Northern Rockies Heritage Center for cultural, educational, and historical purposes.

Images

Fort Missoula
Fort Missoula Officer's Row at Fort Missoula, Montana. Bachelor Officer's Quarters is in the foreground immediately behind the car. The street in front of Officer's Row is called Ft. Missoula Road. Source: Montana History Portal Creator: Rollin H. McKay Date: Oct. 1931

Location

F Road, Fort Missoula, Missoula, Montana | Public

Metadata

The Montana National Register Sign Program, “Company Officers' Quarters,” Historic Montana, accessed March 2, 2024, https://historicmt.org/items/show/928.