Murphy-Neel & Co.

Fort Benton Historic District

Prominent Montana merchant and cattleman John T. Murphy, who also ran a major freighting outfit between Fort Benton and the mining camps, went into partnership with Samuel Neel to build this commercial structure in 1880 at a cost of $15,000. The impressive one-story brick building on the riverfront served as mercantile store and warehouse. Distinctive corbelling, arched doorways, and tall pillared chimneys enhanced its original appearance. The one remaining chimney still retains the intricate design.

Images

Map

1220 Front Street, Fort Benton, Montana ~ Private