Fort Benton’s building boom of 1887-1894 saw the construction of many commercial buildings made of locally produced soft brick. This fine example was built in 1881 as a saddlery by Davidson and Moffitt of Helena. The River Press Company, publisher of the town’s newspaper, purchased the building in 1883. The local news has been printed on these premises ever since. Decorative corbelling and four arches over the front windows and doorway embellished the original one-story structure.