Filed Under Hardin

Burlington Northern Depot, Hardin

Hardin Commercial Historic District

Hardin’s first railroad depot was moved from Fort Custer after being cut into small sections and transported by train over the Big Horn Bridge. That depot was expanded in 1909, but was deemed inadequate after the homestead boom dramatically increased freight and passenger traffic during the teens. Modeled on Burlington depots in Nebraska, the 1923 depot is a hollow clay tile structure with a brick and stucco veneer. The interior included a general waiting room, men’s waiting room, ticket office, and baggage and express room. Segregation was in effect in Hardin, and in addition to men’s and women’s bathrooms, there was a separate bathroom for Indians. Like other depots, the back of the building (facing the town) is equally as prominent as the building’s front (facing the tracks). Declared by the Hardin Tribune to be “one of the best depots” for a city Hardin’s size “between the Missouri river and the coast,” the building, at an estimated $100,000 price tag, showed the railroad’s faith in Hardin’s future.

Images

BN Depot BN Depot Commercial Dist., Multiple resources of Hardin Hardin, Montana Photographer: Fredric L. Quivik, RTI Date of Photo: July, 1984 Neg. at Montana SHPO View to the northeast Photo #12 (verso) b&w print Source: Official records of the Montana State Historic Preservation Office, Helena, Montana Creator: Fredric L. Quivik Date: July 1984

Location

10 East Railway Street, Hardin, Montana | Public

Metadata

The Montana National Register Sign Program, “Burlington Northern Depot, Hardin,” Historic Montana, accessed December 2, 2022, https://historicmt.org/items/show/57.