Butte National Historic Landmark District
John and Elizabeth Hawke moved into their newly constructed home circa 1903. The brick-veneered residence features an elegant two-story bay, which, along with the low hipped roofline and the brackets under the wide, projecting eaves, reflects the Italianate style. The roof was originally rolled tin. The low-cost, light-weight, water, and fire proof material was popular in the late nineteenth and early twentieth centuries. The original wrought iron fence, manufactured by Chas. W. Lane of Butte, defines the yard. John Hawke owned a livery stable and invested widely in other Butte enterprises. The respected, conservative businessman represented the well-to-do Fourth Ward on the Butte City Council from 1911 to 1913, a period when working-class Socialists dominated city government. His unexpected death at age 46 cut short his tenure as alderman. Elizabeth died five years later, in 1917, also at age 46, leaving the home to her oldest daughter Nora. In 1920, Nora lived here with her five siblings, ages 28 to 20, her brother-in-law, and a young niece and two young nephews. She sold the residence in the early 1940s.