Stevensville, officially platted in 1879, was hardly on the map when John and Mary Landram came to the Bitterroot in 1875. Landram, a native of Missouri and a carpenter by trade, put his skills to immediate use helping to build the frame buildings that rapidly sprang up along Main Street. Building was not Landram’s only talent; he gained a fine reputation as a casket-maker. In November of 1890 the couple purchased several lots on this block and soon after acquired three adjoining lots. Their Dutch Colonial Revival style residence, completed by 1899, illustrates John Landram’s resourceful creativity and demonstrates his skills as a builder. At a time when new methods of printing made architectural photographs in books and periodicals more readily available, Landram no doubt took advantage of these in designing and building his own residence. A gently pitched front-facing gambrel roof, boxed cornice, cornerboards with classically detailed entablatures, and simple molded window lintels place the home within this architectural genre. Original woodwork and hardwood floors grace the well-planned interior. Two outbuildings, both in place by 1909, contribute to the historic ambience of this well-preserved home. The Landram House, one of the first residences constructed east of Stevensville’s business district, is equally significant for its association with this early pioneer family and for its locally unusual architecture.