St. Paul's Episcopal Church Hamilton
Hamilton Southside Residential Historic District
Reverend George Stewart designed this English Gothic church, constructed in 1899. Congregant Lena Crutchfield organized numerous pancake suppers, ice cream socials, and offered generous donations to make this historic landmark a reality. Margaret Daly, wife of copper king and lumber baron Marcus Daly, was also a prominent financial contributor. The wood-frame structure incorporated elements typical of British ecclesiastical architecture, and its pointed-arch windows, decorative wooden tracery, steeply pitched rooflines, and square towers allude to the denomination's English roots. The interior ceiling is intended to remind worshippers of an inverted Noah's ark. The towers, originally asymmetrical, were modified in later years. The stained glass windows were more recently added. In 1941, Mrs. Daly's funeral, one of the largest ever held in the vicinity, took place in this building. Many businesses closed to allow community members to attend. Today, St. Paul’s Episcopal Church continues its long tradition of providing a source of Christian fellowship to the community of Hamilton.