Filed Under Virginia City

Henry Elling Clothing Store

Virginia City National Historic Landmark District

Henry Elling, one of Montana’s early prominent businessmen, first arrived in Virginia City in 1864 with a small stock of men’s clothing. In 1867, Elling returned to Virginia City and opened a store where the Buford warehouse is now located. Elling moved his thriving business to the prestigious Content’s Corner in 1872. He became involved in buying and selling gold, entered the banking business in 1873, and was eventually involved in most mining and mercantile ventures in the area and in banking throughout Montana. Charles Bovey built this reproduction of the original Elling Store with its Greek Revival storefront and museum display as part of his intent to create “living history.”

Images

Henry Elling Store, Virginia City
Henry Elling Store, Virginia City View of four men standing with clothing displayed on the boardwalk in front of a wooden storefront. Large signs advertising "California Store" and "Henry Elling" are prominent above the door. Henry Elling's clothing store on lower Wallace Street in Virginia City, Montana. Source: PAc 956-135, Montana Legacy Photograph Collection, Montana Historical Society Research Center Photograph Archives, Helena, MT. Creator: Unknown photographer Date: ca. 1870
Henry Elling Clothing Store, Virginia City
Henry Elling Clothing Store, Virginia City View of Henry Elling store facade Source: Montana Heritage Commission Creator: Kate Steeley, Montana Heritage Commission Date: Oct 2019

Location

314 West Wallace Street, Virginia City, Montana | Private

Metadata

The Montana National Register Sign Program, “Henry Elling Clothing Store,” Historic Montana, accessed March 1, 2024, https://historicmt.org/items/show/867.