Like the blacksmith shop next door, this early building was probably a dance hall or saloon in the mid-1860s run by owner John Trollman. In 1865, Trollman was one of Virginia City’s seventy-three licensed retail liquor dealers. By the 1870s, a larger door and higher roof had been added to accommodate Frank Prasch and Fred Kohls’ blacksmith shop. Prasch operated the shop until about 1914, then sold out to Louis Romey, who continued until 1946. The building, in near ruin, was rescued by the Historic Landmark Society of Montana. With funds donated by C. A. Bovey, its false front was rebuilt using vintage board and square nails.