Filed Under Virginia City

S.R. Buford & Company

Virginia City National Historic Landmark District

Rounded arches and a tall false front characterize Virginia City’s first brick building, built by clothing merchant E. J. Walter in 1875. It is said that construction using locally produced bricks was accomplished as a test before the building of the Madison County Courthouse. Backed by banker Henry Elling, Simeon R. Buford opened the region’s largest grocery store here in 1878. Buford’s was the supply point for most of southwestern Montana, including the infant “Butte City.” In later years, Butte’s huge warehouses would, in turn, supply Buford’s own business. Most of the merchandise displayed, including the canned goods, came from Buford’s inventory.

Images

S. R. Buford & Co., Virginia City
S. R. Buford & Co., Virginia City View of seven unidentified men standing on a boardwalk in front of a brick building. Various crates and barrels visible on the boardwalk and possibly a bank building to the right. S. R. Buford and Company, wholesale liquor dealers, Virginia City, Montana. Source: PAc 956-133, Montana Legacy Photograph Collection, Montana Historical Society Research Center Photo Archives, Helena, MT. Creator: Unknown photographer Date: ca. 1875
S. R. Buford & Co., Virginia City
S. R. Buford & Co., Virginia City View looking south at building facade Source: Montana Heritage Commission Creator: Kate Steeley, Montana Heritage Commission Date: Oct 2019

Location

310 West Wallace Street, Virginia City, Montana | Private

Metadata

The Montana National Register Sign Program, “S.R. Buford & Company,” Historic Montana, accessed June 18, 2024, https://historicmt.org/items/show/857.