The Warren Street location of this substantial brick home, built by Helena businessman William Preuitt circa 1874, offered a bird’s eye view of the growing town below. It also provided higher ground away from the fires that plagued Helena’s early commercial area. After several other owners, Isaac and Jennie Marks bought the property in 1882 and built an addition at the southeast corner. Marks himself had experienced fire damage first hand; his Main Street liquor business burned twice during the 1860s. In 1899, clothing merchant Henry Klein of the pioneer firm Gans and Klein moved into the home and lived here until his sudden death in 1903. Klein was a revered member of Helena’s Jewish community and president of the Temple Emanu-El congregation at the time of his death. From 1906 to 1928, the home served as rectory for St. Peter’s Episcopal Church, which was then across Warren Street. Despite newer exterior stucco, this early home retains its primary design elements and original configuration.