Fashion Livery and Boarding Stable
Helena Historic District
A probate judge deeded brothers Anton and Martin Holter this property in 1872. The prominent and wealthy Holters operated milling, hardware, real estate, and construction companies. The Holters set up a lumber yard here, which they operated until the 1890s. Other neighboring industries included the Stedman Foundry, the Jurgens and Price Soda Water Factory, and the Sandford and Evans Lumber Yard. During the 1890s, the area became less oriented toward industry as downtown expanded north. In 1898, the Holters began to commercially develop their corner property. They built this building, which for nearly two decades housed the Fashion Livery and Boarding Stable. As changing modes of transportation saw the demise of horse-drawn travel, the facility was converted to an automobile dealership in 1916, a use that endured through the 1980s. The building appears today much as it did after the 1916 remodeling, retaining much of the original masonry and decorative roofline details. Heavy beam construction and remnants of original livery use are still visible in the second-story loft.