The Flathead Monitor declared in 1899 that the west side was way ahead of the east side with “a new residence being started there about every day.” By 1900, streets and sidewalks had replaced the open prairie. This Queen Anne style home was one of the first in the neighborhood, constructed between 1891 and the turn of the century. Carpenter/teamster William Yanicke came to Kalispell from South Dakota in 1900, purchasing this property where he and his wife, Susan, were in residence by 1901. Yanicke served as street commissioner in the 1910s and later as foreman for the city engineer. When the couple moved out of town to operate a poultry farm in 1925, daughter Lydia Relter and her husband Nerlie, a Kalispell grocer, then lived here until 1938. The cross-gabled plan, mixed exterior sidings (clapboard and decorative shingle work in the gable ends), and front and side porches are classic elements of the Queen Anne style. The wraparound porch at the rear and south bay window, also distinguishing features of the style, were later additions.