Jones House

West Side Historic District

Built by William F. Eckelberry around 1903, this four-square residence features a full basement, a front gabled dormer, a full-width front porch, and a leaded-glass bay window in the dining room. Remodeling efforts in 1910 reduced the recessed porch on the south side. Ornate wood moldings, original hardware in the Eastlake pattern, hardwood floors, and a claw foot tub complement the interior of this well refurbished home. Eckelberry, a postal clerk, lived here until 1909 when he sold the home to Ora and Minnie Jones. First a teller and then a cashier at the First National Bank of Kalispell, Jones rose in prominence and relocated his family in 1918 as a result. Lillian Wooster purchased the dwelling in 1923 and immediately had the rear wing added to her new home. During remodeling efforts in the late 1990s, the original fish-scale shingles were uncovered in the front dormer. Despite many different owners and tenants occupying the residence over the years, the house retains its historic integrity.

Images

Map

724 1st Avenue West, Kalispell, Montana ~ Private