Filed Under Philipsburg

Hynes House

Philipsburg Historic Disctrict

Most of Philipsburg’s original wooden commercial structures were later rebuilt of brick, but this last-remaining frame boardinghouse escaped such a fate. The two-and-one-half-story establishment, built in 1880, was run by Honora Hynes until the silver crash of 1893 and then by the McGurk family until 1930. Spacious parlors, dining room, and upstairs sleeping rooms offered residents comfortable, home-like quarters. The structure’s false-front style was popular in small-town western America and was used to make buildings appear more substantial.

Images

Hynes House Hynes House, facing northwest on Broadway Street, front/side view of the building, digital photograph. Source: Montana Historical Society Creator: Michael Connolly Date: June 2019
Hynes House Hynes House, facing northeast on Broadway Street, front/side view of building, digital photograph. Source: Montana Historical Society Creator: Michael Connolly Date: June 2019
Hynes House Hynes House. Facing northwest on Broadway Street, front/side view of the building. B&W. Source: Montana State Historic Preservation Office from the Photograph Archives at the Montana Historical Society Creator: Photographer unidentified Date: 1980-1984
Hynes House Hynes House. Facing north on Broadway Street, front view of building. B&W. Source: Montana State Historic Preservation Office from the Photograph Archives at the Montana Historical Society Creator: Photographer unidentified Date: 1980-1984

Location

229 East Broadway Street, Philipsburg, Montana | Private

Metadata

The Montana National Register Sign Program, “Hynes House,” Historic Montana, accessed December 3, 2022, https://historicmt.org/items/show/626.