Hegranes House

West Side Historic District

A second-story Palladian window and a full-length front porch (now enclosed) enliven the façade of this house, built in 1910 for Henry and Josephine Hegranes. In that year, a horse stable off the alley was the nearest building to the Hegranes’ residence, one of only two houses on the west side of the street. By 1927, a third house had joined the block, the Hegranes had built a back addition onto their home, and their neighbor’s stable had become a garage. Henry Hegranes came to Kalispell from North Dakota in 1909 and took a job clerking at the Kalispell Mercantile. Josephine likely followed him a year later, after the birth of their second child. By 1915, Henry had become a partner in the City Grocery on Main Street; he ran the business for approximately fifteen years. During the Depression he worked as a salesmen. After forty years of living in the same house, the Hegranes moved to Santa Barbara, California, but continued to remain in touch with old Kalispell friends. They sold the home in 1959.

Images

Map

834 2nd Avenue West, Kalispell, Montana ~ Private