Filed Under Lewistown

McDonald & Charters Block

Lewistown Central Business Historic District

The beautiful blending of brick and handcut stone in this 1905 business block serves as a fine example of Lewistown’s distinctive architecture. Romanesque Revival arches, Renaissance Revival wall layering, and an Italianate cornice speak to the exuberant eclecticism of the period. Built by local contractor George Wells for Charles McDonald and John Charters, the building originally housed a land office and the Lewistown Bakery whose specialty was “Mother’s Bread.” The Knights of Pythias met in the second-floor lodge hall. Now an integral part of a three-building unit, the narrow cut stone first-floor entry hall and upper-floor façade retain their 1905 appearances.

Images

506 West Main St., Lewistown View looking northeast at McDonald Charters block. Creator: Christine Brown, Montana Historical Society Date: Aug 2019

Location

506 West Main Street, Lewistown, Montana | Private

Metadata

The Montana National Register Sign Program, “McDonald & Charters Block,” Historic Montana, accessed February 4, 2023, https://historicmt.org/items/show/355.