Jacoby House

East Side Historic District

Twenty-one-year-old jeweler Phillip Jacoby moved to Kalispell in 1891. By 1892 he owned his own store and advertised “watches, jewelry, clocks, silverware and optical goods at eastern prices.” Reflecting the local market, he also promoted his skill at “mounting elk teeth, claws, etc., and the making of special pieces of jewelry.” In 1908, Phillip and his sister Rosalie, who had come to Kalispell to keep house for her brother, moved into this “pleasant” new home built to Phillip’s specifications. The design, according to the newspaper, was a “combination of cottage and bungalow styles.” The Jacobys remained part of Kalispell’s small Jewish community until 1915, when they moved to Great Falls. Traveling lumber salesman George Hunt and his wife Harriet moved here in 1917, purchasing the residence in 1924. Harriet offered piano lessons in the parlor, a tradition that was resumed by later owners in the 1950s. This one-story hipped roof residence originally featured an open front porch. After 1950, owners added an attached garage and enclosed the front porch, which features half timbering in the front gable and brackets under wide-overhanging eaves.

Images

Map

215 5th Avenue East, Kalispell, Montana ~ Private