Grant / Clifford House

East Side Historic District

Carpenter Warren J. Lamb demonstrated familiarity with the very latest styles in this two-story home, which he built in 1898. The low hipped roof and wide eaves suggest the Prairie style while exposed rafter ends are a hallmark of the Arts and Crafts movement. The interior reflects these stylistic influences. Built-in shelves separate the living/dining rooms and handsome wood paneling covers the stairway wall. Original green and red glass light fixtures and wall sconces remain in place. From 1907 until 1921, miner/farmer James J. Grant, his wife Mary and their five children lived in the home. The Irish-born Civil War veteran had a varied career serving as scout for General Custer, game warden, deputy sheriff, and deputy U.S. marshall. Cecil and Margaret Clifford, both ordained ministers, owned the home from 1926 to 1953. While the Cliffords’ son was away at college in the late 1920s, the residence fondly became known through their correspondence as “Homomyne.”

Images

Map

126 4th Avenue East, Kalispell, Montana ~ Private