Missoula businessman Roy Van Wart built this Queen Anne Free Classic style home and the identical house next door in 1905. The mirror-image homes feature steep cross-gable hipped roofs (reflecting the Queen Anne style) and Classical details such as square porch columns and prominent cornice returns at the eaves. In 1906, Charles La Fayette Kellogg and wife Marion purchased the house. They had no children but shared the home with five extended family members. Charles, a lawyer and University of Montana law school lecturer, owned Northwestern Abstract & Title Company and was president of the Missoula Chamber of Commerce. He ran unsuccessfully for mayor in 1910, helped welcome President Theodore Roosevelt to Missoula in 1911, and was chairman of the local Good Roads committee. Marion was director of the Missoula Young Women’s Christian Association (YWCA), which provided education, lodging, and meals for young women. After Charles died in 1918, Marion became the national field secretary for the YWCA Northwestern District. In 1922, she sold the home to Northern Pacific Railroad engineer Edward J. Adams and his wife Kate. They remained in residence until 1930.