Filed Under Missoula

Hall/Miller House

Missoula Southside Historic District

The mining industry’s voracious demand for wood attracted workers to Missoula’s growing timber industry, increasing demand for housing. Homes like this classic Craftsman style bungalow, built circa 1918, appealed to Missoula’s new residents. Its exposed rafters, clapboard and shingle siding, and boxy porch supports illustrate the style’s emphasis on natural materials and craftsmanship. George and Sadie Fox lived here in 1918. George speculated in timber after a long career as a lumber estimator with the Anaconda Company, and Sadie was a clubwoman. Rancher Albert Hall, Sr., and his wife Ida, made their home here in 1920. The Halls divided their time between their Potomac ranch and Missoula residence. Dwight and Florence Miller purchased the house in 1934. Dwight worked in Anaconda Company timber camps, first as a scaler and then as a clerk, spending extended periods away from home. The Millers’ son Dwight studied forestry at the University of Montana and played center for the Grizzly basketball team. In the summers, he drove the “Galloping Goose,” a single-car, self-propelled train that shuttled loggers from Bonner to timber camps in the Blackfoot valley.

Images

335 S 5th West
335 S 5th West External view Source: Google Streetview Date: Oct 2015

Location

335 South 5th West, Missoula | private

Metadata

Montana Historical Society, “Hall/Miller House,” Historic Montana, accessed June 25, 2024, https://historicmt.org/items/show/3497.