Great Falls architect William E. Donovan designed this distinctive California Mission style residence for Dr. Frances J. and Alice C. Adams in 1909. They named the home Angle Nook, referring to the unusual triangle-shaped lot it occupies. The clay tile roof, curvilinear gable ends, stucco walls, and wrought iron railings reflect Hispanic design elements. Donovan, who lived across the street, also designed the 1904 Nurses Home at Columbus Hospital, the Elk’s Club, and the Wadsworth house at No. 104. Dr. Adams had settled in Great Falls in 1890 after serving as an army surgeon at Fort Assinniboine (1883-1887) and in private practice in Fort Benton. He co-founded Columbus Hospital in 1893, established its nurses training school in 1894, and returned to the Army in 1898 as a volunteer surgeon during the Spanish-American War. In 1908, he became Great Falls’ first public health officer. Dr. Adams died in 1920, and the following year newlyweds Arthur and Harriet Strain purchased the house. Harriet raised their four children while Arthur served as secretary-treasurer of Strain’s department store. The Strains remained in residence until Arthur’s death in 1963.