Hotel proprietors Clara Lano and Anna Thompson hired contractor Albert Broadland to build this fifty-room apartment building in 1917. They named it the Dyckman after the luxurious Dyckman Hotel in Minneapolis, near where Clara grew up. Clara and Anna chose the design for the tasteful yet modest Classical style building, which featured large windows and hot and cold water in every room. Anna and Clara managed the building, but only Anna lived here. Clara, who married dentist Samuel Herman in 1918, was a founder and president of the Butte Business and Professional Women’s Club. Many of the Dyckman tenants were also professional women. In 1920, assistant superintendents of Butte schools Belle Schofied and Elga Shearer rented rooms, and talented mother/daughter pianists Marie and Charlotte Leipheimer gave piano lessons in Charlotte’s room. An array of nurses, stenographers, saleswomen, and a few men filled the building. Dr. Harvey Casebeer purchased the Dyckman for his Ear, Nose, and Throat Hospital in 1952. He remodeled the first two floors for medical offices and added a new hospital wing for surgery patients. The third floor remained an apartment house for women.