Koppang House

East Side Historic District

Architect Joseph Gibson designed several Kalispell homes similar to this one, including his own nearly identical residence at 461 East California; it is likely that he designed this house as well. Building contractor Jacob Miller constructed the residence between 1911 and 1913. His wife Minerva sold it to Dr. Charles Greusel in 1916, and in 1918, Thorvald (Thor) and Bertha Koppang purchased the home. Thor and his partner Ole Jordet had opened the Koppang-Jordet Motor Company in 1912, Kalispell’s first Ford automobile dealership. Thor bought out Ole in 1914 and renamed the business the Glacier Park Garage. By 1919, the dealership had sold more than a thousand Fords. The Koppangs’ home reflected their success. The large triangular knee braces and exposed rafter tails in the eaves are classic Craftsman style details. However, the boxed ceiling beams, built-in benches, bookcases with leaded glass doors, and maple floors on the first floor represent less common, high-style decoration designed for entertaining. Although Thor died in 1920, Bertha remained in residence until 1943. She was active with the Bethlehem Lutheran Church and often held Ladies’ Aid Society meetings here.

Images

Map

20 Woodland Avenue, Kalispell, MT ~ private