George and Elizabeth Clark, immigrants from Cornwall, England, lived in this hipped-roof cottage for thirty years. George arrived in Butte in 1875, while Elizabeth and their three children followed in 1879. By 1890, the Clarks had settled in Centerville, within walking distance of the Mountain Consolidated Mine where George worked. The family watched Centerville grow from a scattered array of log cabins along muddy pathways into a bustling community of respectable one-story, frame houses, inhabited mostly by Cornish and Irish immigrants. This house was built in 1895, and the Clarks moved here in 1900. By then, George and his sons George, Jr., Albert, and William were all working in nearby mines and Elizabeth was a homemaker. George was well known in the mining community and at the end of his career he was the watchman at the Steward Mine from 1926 to 1930. Miner Alfred Temby, wife Mildred, and two children lived here in the 1930s. In 1941, the Tembys divorced, and by 1945 miner Charles Carlson and his wife Grace moved here. Members of the Carlson family remained in residence until 1992.