When the original campus gymnasium became the Engineering Building in 1923, plans were begun for a replacement. This splendid facility was completed in 1925 at a cost of $125,000. A swimming pool, handball courts, showers, and locker rooms comprised the lower floor while the main floor offered a hardwood playing floor and seating for 2,500 spectators. The third level included a trophy room, dressing room, lavatories, and a hardwood running track. Well-lighted, ventilated tunnels conveniently connected the gymnasium with other campus buildings; the tunnels are still in use today. Designed in the Renaissance Revival style like its neighbors, distinctive stylistic elements include an arcaded entry, decorative terra cotta diamonds below the cornice, and a contrasting foundation. Copper shingles with rolled and crimped copper roofing at the peak originally covered the hipped roof. Of particular interest is the football-player gargoyle sporting a vintage uniform over the main entrance. In 1980, a carefully matched addition at the rear expanded the facility, and the interior was completely remodeled to three conventional levels for classroom use.