Benevolent and Protective Order of Elks of the U.S.A., Hell Gate Lodge #383, has offered conviviality, community service, and social support since its founding in 1898. In 1911 lodge members contracted with Montana’s premier architectural firm of Link and Haire to design this Neoclassical style building. One of the most outstanding examples of institutional Neoclassical architecture in Missoula, the three-story brick lodge features a recessed, arcaded gallery; monumental columns and balconies; large, scrolled brackets; and extensive use of terra cotta. Decorative terra cotta graces the cornice, window surrounds, scrolled brackets, and the massive, Ionic style fluted columns. Like many fraternal organizations, the Elks chose to meet on the second floor, for privacy, while earning income by renting the first floor. The Missoula Mercantile implement store occupied the prime retail space. A 1950 remodel transformed the first floor, but the upper floors’ exterior look much as they did in 1911. In addition to meeting rooms, the Elks Lodge contained two bars, thirty-two apartments, a swimming pool later transformed into a basketball court, a weight room, locker room, shooting range, and bowling alley now a third bar.