Filed Under Butte

Masonic Temple, Butte

Butte National Historic Landmark District

The first Masonic Lodge in Butte was chartered October 3, 1876. With a membership of 550 after the turn of the twentieth century, the organization had outgrown its old quarters on West Park. The new temple, completed in 1902, provides an early example of the grandly scaled Beaux-Arts style that came to dominate Butte’s later civic structures. Link and Carter, the forerunner of the prestigious architectural firm of Link and Haire, created the new temple, enhancing its façade with Ionic columns, a cornice of lions’ heads, and decorative borders of acanthus leaves and geometric designs.

Images

Masonic Temple
Masonic Temple Masonic Temple (PAc 91-51 B3 RollJK09 F34). Front view of the building, facing south on West Park Street near the corner of West Park and South Washington Street. B&W. Source: Montana State Historic Preservation Office from the Photograph Archives at the Montana Historical Society Creator: Jeff Kestle Date: 1984
Masonic Temple
Masonic Temple facade Source: Montana Historical Society Creator: Julian Boughton and Martha Kohl Date: August 8, 2022

Location

314 West Park Street, Butte, Montana | Private

Metadata

The Montana National Register Sign Program, “Masonic Temple, Butte,” Historic Montana, accessed March 5, 2024, https://historicmt.org/items/show/2034.