Carpenter's Union Hall

Butte National Historic Landmark District

Butte’s reputation as the “Gibraltar of Unionism” in the Rocky Mountains was further strengthened with the construction of this finely appointed Renaissance Revival style labor temple, one of the first built in the United States. The Butte Carpenters’ Union, Local #112 chartered in 1890, financed the construction, which was completed in 1906. The temple housed most of Butte’s unions including the Women’s Protective Union, the Teachers’ Union, the Laborers’ Union, the Machinists’ Union, and the Butte Building and Construction Trades. The hall, which is still used as a union labor temple, provides a fine example of the talent and skills of local craftsmen of the time.

Images

Map

156 West Granite Street, Butte, Montana ~ Private